About Accion East and online
At Accion East and Online, we're committed to bringing affordable microfinance solutions to small business owners who need them. We're an organization with a nationwide reach that has helped thousands of small business owners grow and thrive. A recognized leader in U.S. microfinance, we help small business owners use microloans to build their businesses. We are part of the U.S. Accion Network, the largest domestic microlending network, with over $272 million lent since inception in 1991.
Accion empowers low-to-moderate income business owners through access to capital and financial education. With economic opportunity, these entrepreneurs—often minorities and women—can build assets, better provide for their families, create employment and strengthen their communities.
- Adaptability. We are innovators; we continually improve ourselves and our world. We take risks to do so.
- Dedication. We give 100% at all times. We are committed to Accion, our mission and our clients.
- Integrity. We earn trust by making promises-and keeping them.
- Empathy. We walk in others' shoes. We know that true understanding must occur at an emotional and intellectual level.
- Inclusion. We create community. We value the contributions of every person.
- Passion. We are proud about being Accionistas; we work to honor our values in everything we do.
Accion was established in 1991 as the domestic arm of Accion International, a global microfinance organization with the mission of providing people with the financial tools needed to work their way out of poverty. Based on the success of the Brooklyn-based pilot program and the vast need for microfinance services in the United States, Accion established direct lending offices in other major U.S. metropolitan areas. In 2000, ACCION USA was formed, launching programs in Georgia, New England and Florida over the next three years. In 2008, ACCION USA combined operations with licensee ACCION New York and began to serve New York- and New Jersey-based small businesses.
Today, Accion's footprint is nationwide. With our online lending platform and licensees serving the Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Chicago, and San Diego markets, entrepreneurs coast-to-coast have access to microloan services. In total, Accion provides 75 percent of microloan services in the United States.
LEADING U.S. MICROFINANCE
Accion is a recognized leader in the field of U.S. microfinance. We have provided over $132 million in over 20,000 loans (as of 1/1/12) that provide the opportunity to grow a small business into an entity that positively contributes to family income and community development. Our awards and honors include:
- The Presidential Award for Excellence in Microenterprise Development for Program Innovation awarded to the U.S. Accion Network in 1998
- Four star rating on Charity Navigator awarded in 2008.
- New York City Neighborhood Achievement Award Winner in 2009 for Minority/Women-owned Business Enterprise Advocate of the Year
- 2009 Boston Business Journal Corporate Citizenship Partner of the Year honoree
- NOVO Award from the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce
- Our parent organization, Accion International, was recognized as a leader in microfinance by Philanthropedia's Microfinance Expert Mutual Fund.